Sunday, June 7, 2009

The American Impressionist Exhibition, Queensland Art Gallery

I had a lovely day on Saturday. It began with an early morning start (5am anyone?) as I got up to go on my Garage Sales expedition where I decided that the hunter/gather theory was officially flawed. I came to this decision as I received my endorphin rush in hunt for the ultimate prize purchase. Who said us women were meant to just pick berries. Anyhow a few of those pretty items i'll share in my next blog.  
What I really wanted to share with you here is about "The American Impressionist" exhibition at The Queensland Art Gallery. It was such a wonderful experience and I suggest that art lovers or anyone who admires beautiful things to visit the exhibition. Everyone around me appeared to respond in slow motion like gentle lapping of waves on a shoreline as they moved from painting to painting. Very poetic sounding but this quiet appreciation was different from previous exhibitions I had experienced of recent times.  
The works are gorgeous and each space is painted a different colour, creating a new feel in each room. If you look down through the rooms you will also be drawn to the painting of Mrs Hammersley by John Singer Sargent, (the painting of the lady in the red dress I have included below). With the galleries choice of placement and the deep, rich red they chose to paint the walls only enhances the painting. As my partner put it, "The wall frames both the frame and the painting".
Here are only some of the beautiful artworks available to view. Oh by the way the gift shop has lots of pretty things so take the credit card...or not as it's very tempting to buy up the whole shop.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment