Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Portrait of a Lady

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This week I watched "The Portrait of a Lady", a film by the fabulously talented Jane Campion based on the novel of the same name written by Henry James. It stars Nicole Kidman across from John Malkovich and with Barbara Hershey (whom I love much) as a support. The set and costumes were a visual feast but for me I felt the film fell a bit short. I didn't connect with Nicole's character as Isabel Archer, a wealthy young heiress who forgoes a marriage proposal for "freedom" but ends up finding herself caught in the cage of the moneyless but somewhat hypnotising Gilbert Osmond (Malkovich). However on the extra features of the DVD there was a documentary made on the filming of "The Portrait of a Lady" which was beautifully captured in black and white. Anyone who may question Nicole's acting ability should watch it as it shows how affected by the character she is and emotionally distraught once the camera has stopped rolling. So in a strange way I ended up more connected to the actor than the character. You can watch the trailer here and I suggest anyone who has yet to watch it (released in 1996) that it is worth doing so.
I also want to say welcome to my new followers...it's great to have you here :)
Lou
xx

5 comments:

  1. Hi Lou
    Thanks for visiting my blog, and therefore introducing me to yours! Oh and how you would just love 'Whites'!
    I can't wait to see Jane Campion's new movie Bright Star. Looks fabulous too.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog! Love your and iam going to follow you..of to browse..lulu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why thank you Lulu...btw must say, great name :)
    Lou
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lou :) Like the lovely Amanda, I am so thrilled you visited my blog and that I have found yours, it is just lovely and I look forward to following you in 2010. Portrait of a Lady is one of my favourite novels, wasn't too fussed on the movie, though I do own it on DVD so may get it out over the weekend for a re-run:) Thank you for your lovely comments:) Have a lovely weekend - Tina x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tina the same can certainly be said about your blog (lovely that is :). I have not read the novel and was wondering if it was better than the film. Though the film does have a few things going for it as I mentioned, ie costumes etc. I may just have to find myself a copy of the book and lock myself away for a weekend.
    Lou
    xx

    ReplyDelete