Thursday, May 27, 2010

{ I have a confession }

Photobucket
Image found here

and I don't think I'm alone here because the truth is, I'm not all that crazy for housework.  And this weekend, minus a small respite with girlfriends while we eat cake and be gloriously pampered, that is what I'll be doing.  My work area is looking like a bomb hit it.  I really need to get my focus back and the only way to do this, is to have a place for everything and everything in its place.

Photobucket
Image found here

So when I look at the 1950's housewife she is always smiling.  What is her secret?  I mean cleaning a house most days of the week and slippers out ready for the husband when he arrives home from the office, doesn't really do it for me?  So then I wondered some more.  Was I doing this housework thing all wrong?  And then it hit me.  You never see a 1950's housewife in a tracksuit that's seen better days or makeup that she forgot to wash off the night before.  And when was the last time you wore heels and your favourite pearls to scrub the bath?  So this weekend I think I'll forgo the heels but perhaps I'll be perfectly attired in one of the many vintage aprons I own.  Once I'm wearing the  uniform it's sure to change my frame of mind about cleaning...right? 

10 comments:

  1. darling you can borrow my pink apron - it looks great with stockings, heels and a little mini!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm I am actually wanting to get some cleaning done hehe xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with that!
    Let us know if it works :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Valium is why she's always smiling! Valium makes 50s housewife happy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The answer the smile on the 50's housewives face, is that she either didn't know any better or actually enjoyed it. Alot of little girls then grew up wanting to be wives and mummys (mommies) because that's what their mothers were & that's all there was. Not much opportunity for women. That's the long, philosophical answer to the question. I am not a huge fan of housework either, especially washing clothes.. but the satisfaction I get when it's all done is worth it! Ps. I love the idea of the apron! I might try that myself.

    lm.x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh, its cause she had too mant bex!
    Im sorry to burst your bubble, but no matter what you put on, or how much you smile, it wont make the house cleaning any better!!!
    But you already know that, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm, good luck with that.

    I, too hate to clean. Organize--yes! Straighten up--fine. But clean? Blech. Maybe because the minute you do it, it needs to be done again. I've found the only thing that helps is to distract myself by listening to podcasts ... a current fave is The Skirted Roundtable, with great interviews of top designers. But the minute I get some extra $$ I'm hiring someone to do the dirty work for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Creativity and housework don't go together! Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is a distinct reason that many of the women from that era are either unhappy, divorced, bitter and unevolved. That is a gross generalisation of a comment by the way, just thinking of the women that I know from that era that were the bom at keeping house...anyway...this is where you leap into gratitude about how fabulous your life is that you have the capacity to verbalise your quandry and not be shot down in flames for thinking. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi ladies,

    I absolutely appreciate all of your comments. And the thing is with the comedic banter with some of your response, there is also truth in what you're saying.

    These smiling housewives were propaganda advertising images. But there is something that we connect with them about. Perhaps it is the sense of nurturing of the family which can easily be lost in today's mad rush.

    But like Amanda says, at least we can voice this in such an open forum (what could be more open than the net).

    xx

    ReplyDelete