Sunday, June 6, 2010

{A Dress that asks a Million Questions...}

Photobucket
Image by Vintage by Lou Lou

Photobucket
Image by Vintage by Lou Lou

Photobucket
Image by Vintage by Lou Lou

I was recently asked if I had any vintage wedding dresses. So I got to thinking about what I had hidden away and sure enough this is what I found.

It's quite incredible the things we collect and why exactly we do, who knows sometimes? What I do know is I'm in love with it's vintage satin fabric, tulle petticoats, lace detailing and beading. This dress certainly doesn't fit me and the bride would have had a tiny waist (I'm suggesting a size 6).

It does get you to thinking who was the bride who wore this? And who did she marry? Was married life all she expected it to be and how many children did she have if any?

Do you have an antique or vintage piece at home whether it is a dress, a piece of jewelry , perhaps a painting or anything else that makes you ask of a million questions?

8 comments:

  1. I have a lovely tin meat safe sitting on top of my fridge. It's got the most gorgeously shaped 'roof' and despite the encroaching rust is such a special piece. I bought it at a clearing sale a lifetime ago but wonder what sort of goodies it may have stored before becoming my recipe book holder. Felicity

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so beautiful Lou.. I love satin. As you know,I'm getting married in 4 months, and though I think a woman's wedding dress is an important part of the day, I am against spending thousands of dollars on something that looks the same as every other dress around. So I picked up my beautiful dress at a second hand/vintage store for $50 and am having it altered to make it completely unique. I can't wait to show you!

    lm.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That dress is so beautiful, I'd love to see it on. They were just so tiny a while back, it's hard to get vintage to fit.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. my engagement ring is an antique, it was about 120 years old when it was bought. I always wonder where/how/who ...all the stories behind it.

    such a gorgeous dress and in beautiful condition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That dress is divine Lou! Hope you are having a great start to your week ~ Tina x

    ReplyDelete
  6. great dress. I love thinking of the stories that could come of antiques ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you ladies...always thought provoking :) So many stories connected to our vintage and antique pieces...now if only they could speak and all that we'd learn xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Lou

    I have forward this to my friend, will let you know or she will let you know what she thinks...so far I am not sure if its the style she was after, however, I love it, its very beautiful indeed...

    Appreciate you looking for it!

    savaen

    ReplyDelete