Sunday, July 18, 2010

{ A Scandalous Life... }

Photobucket

And no, not mine! But I have recently finished reading, "A Scandalous Life" by Mary S. Lovell about the beautiful English woman, Jane Digby. I have a love for historical biographies and this one did not disappoint. The writing style is fine but what truly excites me about this book is the actual, incredible life of Jane Digby.

Born a daughter to a well respected English family she loses propriety after her scandalous divorce from her first husband, Lord Ellenborough. From there Jane allows her heart to lead mostly though to unhappy endings and finds herself married a further two times in this period. And yes throw in affairs along the way, some of those with kings.

But what really captivated me was not so much any of that but how she spent the last part of her life including her final and most important relationship because, sigh, I am that hopeless romantic (I do consent to eye rolling here). Jane already lived quite a nomadic existence, always with great wealth and after a recent relationship ending in Greece with an Albanian Brigand General she leaves at age 46 to discover the Middle East and ends up in Damascus as foreign a place you could possibly get from the England she new.

It is here that a Bedouin Sheikh in his late 20s (and just happens to also be very attractive) falls what appears to be instantly in love with her, pursuing her in want for his third bride. Naturally it doesn't happen all so quickly. Throw in a couple of trips to and from Damascus, heists from other bedouin tribes and divorces from his other brides, (Jane's conditions) that the happy couple tie the knot in a Muslim ceremony.

The book does not end there so I urge you all to find a copy and read it for yourself. I have certainly found it an incredibly fascinating read and the first book for a while that I have wanted to write about.

I've also just had my gorgous friend Cara drop around, we've had a cup of tea and she's just mentioned to me an idea for a book club. I'm all for that especially if it involves discussion over a glass of wine or two.

In the meantime what do you think of this quote from Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, "Well-behaved women don't make history"?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good book for the list. I'm a member of a book club and I think we do a lot more drinking wine than we do discussing the book! I think that quote is pretty accurate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I'm looking forward to Kerry xx

    ReplyDelete