Sunday, August 22, 2010

{Little Golden Book Treasure}

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This weekend I came across some fantastic vintage finds and none more so than these favourite Golden Books. Aren't these illustrations just gorgeous and remind us of times when things were simpler and children were allowed to be children.

I was originally going to snap photos of the illustrations only but I think my hand touching them adds a lovely tactile quality to the images of what essentially is of books and are meant to be held and cherished.

My friend Kyla recently used images from some kids books to make notebooks which I think look incredible. What would you do with these images or do you think these pages belong between and protected by their cover?

8 comments:

  1. I grew up with Golden Books and just loved them. I still remember many of the stories. I personally would struggle to cut them up - just love books too much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I struggled too Sarah, but I only used the ones which had water and mildew damage on the covers. Damn damp rot in my parents house cause me to lose quite a few books but making them into notelets at least gives them a second life.
    xxxKyla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Depending on the condition of the book, I'd probably keep it intact but I do think these pages would be lovely framed in a child's bedroom. My Mum still has my old Golden Books from when I was a little girl - you've inspired me to see what she still has. Have a lovely Monday xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could never cut them up if they were in nice condition. I still have some from when my daughter was little and I have read them over and over to my grandchildren. They are a treasure to keep. There was always a title to corrospond to a situation. I remember when my daughter had her tonsils out there was one called goodbye tonsils or the one called mommies and my new baby. LOVELY. I like the picture of the little boy in bed with his soldiers, the bedside table is like the pink one in your look book lou that I love. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could never cut up the pages of a book that had sentimental value, unless, like Kyla's, the books were damaged beyond repair. I think that is a wonderful way to "save" them.

    But if they didn't have sentimental value to me personally, and I liked the illustrations? Snip, snip. They might look cute on a papier-mache wall-box in a child's nursery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had that book as a child!!!!! I loved it! Any cushions for sale at the moment Lou? Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think books definitely have this wonderful sentimental and nostalgic value about them. I'm uncertain as to what I'm doing with these. We'll just see. Don't think IPad has anything over these babies.

    And Michelle, more cushions coming soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. they are beautiful!
    I collect them aswell whenever I find them, haven't done anything with them yet.
    I'd love to frame a couple of illustrations for the kids room.

    ReplyDelete