Wednesday, January 12, 2011

{The Flood}

Photobucket
The night before (11/1) around the corner from home

Photobucket
The following morning (12/1)

Photobucket
St Mary's Oval under water (12/1)

Photobucket
East meets Brisbane St (12/1)

Photobucket
The rise in the Bremer River (12/1)

One thing is always certain, we never truly know what our day will bring. This can certainly be said for the past three days. I have family members who have already experienced the Bundaberg and Emerald floods but I think from Toowomba to Brisbane and everywhere in between, we never quite expected we would be seeing floods potentially worse than anything we have seen before.

On Tuesday night I happened to be browsing Facebook and noticed a comment from a friend who mentioned about being incredibly upset about flooding in Toowoomba. So we watched the news and the unbelievable footage on Toowoomba. We discussed if we'd be affected and I even brought up having an emergency plan in this situation. Well the next morning I was up bright and early (5am) getting ready to head into Brisbane with the kids to take them for a show. We left around 7.00 and the whole flood scenario was in the back of my mind until we began driving out of Ipswich and I began keeping an eye out for any signs of flooding.

The Bremer was up but it had been like that only a few weeks earlier and everyone seemed to be going about their day as normal in Ipswich and in Brisbane. It wasn't until I arrived at my parents that I updated them on the flooding and we tuned into the news and realised what we were facing.

My partner had gone to work and the kids were with me. However we had Emily, Phill's 16 year old girl home alone and so our next concern was getting back to her asap. We were ready to go, life jackets and all (Lily wasn't going anywhere without hers being on!) when we realised that we really didn't know the condition of between here and home in Ipswich and the idea of flash flooding such as the day before frightened us to say the least. We new Emily was safe as long as she remained at home (48meters above sea level) so Phill decided rather than us go home he'd leave early before the roads were cut off and make his way there asap.

And so I am sitting here safe in Brisbane at my parents with the kids and Phill and Emily are back home in Ipswich. We have been really fortunate unlike others and our hearts go out to those families who haven't been so lucky.

I do feel isolated from my home town. I know Brisbane and its people with its watery streets is also under siege but it is Ipswich where I want to be with the community I know so well and love. The kids also want to be there but until we know it is safe to return home we are at my parents home....thankfully.

It has flooded. We cannot do anything about that. But what we can take from this is a sense of community spirit and support. My brother is helping sandbag with some friends. Friends, family and neigbours are helping one another. And now may we all stay safe and dry.

Love,
Lou x
(Images by Phill)

13 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear that you & your family are safe Lou. My thoughts are with you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you are safe and were so sensible. May your family be reunited safe and well soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear that you are all ok. I was wondering how close you were to it. It is all so scary. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so frightening! I hope you are all reunited very, very soon and that these waters go down...quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Lou, I am so relieved to see this post!! I am so glad that you are all ok. Take care sweet girl ~ Txx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Relieved to hear you are safe and well.
    Take care ... Fiona.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was wondering how you are going. Glad to hear you're safe and dry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am all teary reading your post Lou, so so glad you are all ok. My prayers are with you all xxjeanette

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad to hear you and yours were safe and sound Lou. I'm in Adelaide and I haven't been able to tear my eyes away from the television for three full days. I feel like I'm watching some Hollywood disaster movie when I see the images. I can only begin to imagine what it is really like over there. But the Queenslanders have made my Aussie heart swell with pride at how they've banded together to support and assist everyone in need. All the best to you and yours.
    Megs :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. so glad you are safe and sound - great to have a plan !! le xox

    ReplyDelete
  12. Australia is in our thoughts here in the U.S. I've been following it closely on the news and it is so tragic. I hope you and your family will stay safe.
    Take care,
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Lou, Let us know if there is ANYTHING we can do...hope all okay in the aftermath. ipswich is such a strong community you will pull through. My mum and Dad were married and lived there and my eldest brothers were ipswich born....so feeling the connection at the moment. Somehow 74 dosen't seem that long ago particularly for people like my Mum who went through it then...you are not far from my thoughts...looking forward to an update, cheers Katherine

    ReplyDelete