Monday, April 25, 2011

{Our March to the Anzac Day Parade}

Photobucket
Bunnies at Province

Photobucket
I adore this Easter Display

Photobucket
This bamboo seat is also incredible...

Photobucket
After the Anzac Day March and Ceremony...this older gentleman marched with the younger kids. And here he is shaking their hands.

Photobucket
Two ol' diggers chatting to each other. I like the behind the scenes shots where everyone is relaxed and perfectly candid.

Photobucket
And of course Leroy Brown who received plenty of attention from passers by. Here he is watching the bands march by.

One thing I love about where we live is it's close enough to walk, run or bike to get into town. And always it's such a pleasant experience admiring neighbours gardens, shop displays, stopping for coffee and it has definitely been part of our Easter Long Weekend experience this year.

Yesterday we decided to take Leroy Brown into town to watch the Anzac Day Parade, something that I've always loved to do. On our way we passed Province one of my favourite little boutiques and I had to take some quick snaps of their Easter display. The contemporary take on a rustic table setting is just perfect in my eyes and I just adored the bowl of lemons (rather enviously as I wait for my lemon tree to dazzle me with ripe lemons).

But back to the reason why we visited town, the Anzac Day Parade. We happened to find a couple of seats in front of our fave laneway, tie Leroy's leash to a door and watch the parade in a fantastic position. I felt a little emotional this year. Normally I feel proud and excited to watch these men and women walk past which I still did. But definitely I felt teary and I'm certain if there hadn't been a crowd of people watching I'd have had a good cry. I think it's because there seems to be so much going on in the world and it's our defence force that are often there on the frontline experiencing this. But I'm also grateful for the men and women who before us served this great country of ours in times gone by. I've also enjoyed reading fellow bloggers accounts of their Anzac Day experience and what it means to them and their families. I really think it is a day that binds this country together.

Enjoy your last day of the holiday all.

Love,

LouLou xx

PS The last image is of course Leroy Brown (and yes he is very bad....9 pairs of shoes later). See how big he's grown.

9 comments:

  1. What a delightful post my friend...Leroy Brown..I adore that name..what a sweetie. Nine pairs of shoes..oh my..that just might be a record.
    Parades like this always make me teary eyed too my friend.
    Have a great week. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your doggies name too.. Leroy Brown.. how cute...

    Well Anzac Day always brings a tear to my eye also.. many family memories... mostly good..

    Thanks for your lovely comment and entering my giveaway.. good luck!!! and have a great day today... xxx Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that you posted about this. Your shots and sentiments are brilliant
    Best Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lou! It has been a very tumultuous year so far for so many. We have all been touched by loss in some way and the when we really needed them, the defence force have been there. I will never forget the sheer force of the three Chinooks that landed literally across the road from our house to deliver food to the isolated communities of Mt Crosby and Karana Downs during the January floods. I have been packing my mother's possession from my grandparent's home this Easter and finding medals and photos of the war. My uncle fought in Vietnam and he is no longer with us. My father served in New Guinea and he is no longer with us. My grandfather kept the telecommunications line open from the top of Queensland to Brisbane during World War II. He too has gone. So many memories and so many good people. I have never really been moved by Anzac Day as much either. Thanks for sharing. >@QB

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for a nice post lou. We had a lot to remember too, My husband lost his father at the age of 23 in Tunisia and I lost my sister and uncle in the Blitz in England. My brother and brother in law fought in Vietnam too, I don't think there is many people who havn't been touched in some way. We are all very proud of those fighting so that we can have a better world for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore that picture of the dog in front of the red door. Fabulous! Thanks for posting about such a patriotic subject.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun! I love the little green bunny's and your pup!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lou Lou, Thanks for the great ANZAC photos. It truly is a time that brings us all together as Aussies. This year my daughter in Darwin sent me the photos she took of the parade with our new son-in-law to be marching with his Navy mates. So wonderful to see those who make our World that much safer. Happy Mothers Day.
    xo Sue

    ReplyDelete