Wednesday, January 4, 2012

This Way of Life ~ Day 5

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I enjoy getting up in the morning before the kids do to potter around the house, do the dishes, catching up on the news from around the world while we were sleeping and that kinda thing.

I am a fan of ABC iView and in fact I am certain I could do away with a television now because of it. So I select a documentary to put on in the background as I begin unpacking the dish rack. The pots are put away and I begin on the juicer. But the documentary is This Way of Life and before it has hardly begun I am already txting Phill (who is still in NZ where the documentary is set) on us having to watch it together. I keep looking back at the screen, walk on over and finally sit down with my coffee.

You see, it is all about living, truly living. Not some youtube video on someone telling you how to live that once you've watched one you've really watched them all (I've given up looking for the holy grail on the secret to living/self help variety. It seems you can have all the knowledge under the sun about these things but the key is action, that is all). So in "giving up" I have stumbled on this jewel and this desire to tell the world about it while my dishes still wait for me (let them wait I say).

It tells of the Ottley Karena family who live in a remote location on the North Island of New Zealand where landscapes are expansive and incredibly breathtaking. The family is made up of Peter and Colleen and their six children, their lives very connected to the land and nature around them and not because it is trendy to be "sustaiable/eco/connected with nature" but because that is just their way of life. One could be forgiven for thinking that this family has stepped off a film that's set in colonial times because it is so incredible that a family still lives this way making it so very special.

There are other elements to the film including the rift between Peter and his Step Father which impacts quite heavily on his life but what speaks loudest in this film is the relationship between Peter and his own children and his love for his wife. It is difficult not falling in love with this family.

It is still available to watch on ABC IView and I'm interested in knowing, if this was the secret to happiness, do you think you could/would want to live like this? Or perhaps you are or know of a family who lives similar to this already?

4 comments:

  1. Hi, What a fantastic real life story. I watched it and thought about it for days. Sometimes things are just that simple. Love, Joy, Family, Loving what you do with a passion. I wish this young sweet family a happy, healthy life. Just as I would to a friend. The simple life and happiness. Just look at the childrens faces and boy can they all ride those beautiful wild horses! It was like another world.
    Lots of love to you for a happy 2011
    xo Sue
    Astrachic Studio
    Northern Territory, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched this on iview too and loved it! Such a fantastic thing to see people living this way. I absolutely loved the parenting in it. They were such nurturing, respectful parents. Not too sure if I could live lik they do but I certainly have learnt a lot from sharing in their life for an hour or so.

    Happy New Year to you, by the way! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue ~ They sure do look like they live a happy, healthy life. I think when people "simplify", life tends to be full of rich textures, colour and joy.

    Kim ~ Their parenting certainly seems wonderful but I can see from your posts that your a good mama too. I am curious though, and I would like to visit and see more

    xx

    ReplyDelete