Saturday, April 14, 2012

Where has my head been & a visit to River Cottage ~ Day 104

Photobucket

Okay, so I probably don't need to tell you about River Cottage? You already know about it, love it, wanna live it, right?

Well the thing is, I didn't. I've only just stumbled upon it (and that is the, "where has my head been?" reference) and if you haven't heard about it either or haven't watched in a while, it's worth a re/visit.

So just in case you need a bit of a catch up too, meet English renowned chef Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. It was back in 1998 that Hugh moved to the stunning Dorset countryside to grow his own fruit and veg and raise his own livestock for the table. Without pretentiousness, Hugh's ethics when it comes to food is of eating local and where possible organic and overall no waste!! And in doing this it's portrayed in a manner of the ordinary and every day and focuses on the abundance of benefits this lifestyle brings. Big ticks from me all round I say.

So I have arrived somewhere in the middle of all of this and am now only beginning right from the very start and I'm happy to say it's my fave new series. And on a side note, the original River Cottage (In 2006 they move to a larger area of land) is my idea of the perfect home, hidden away from the world behind plenty of green trees and shrubs with its veggie patch and animals.

And did I forget to mention the recipes? The recipes are delicious, surprising and I'm already making my versions of. But overall River Cottage to me is more than just about the food and you've really got to visit there to experience it for yourself...if you haven't already.

PS I love what Stephen Fry had to say about Hugh;

"Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall is quite my favourite of all the prominent food-writers and presenters. Never quite as shaggy, messy and disgusting as he first appears, his great knowledge, passion, insight, intelligence and skill are hidden under the silliest hair in Europe."

He's Since had a hair cut :)

No comments:

Post a Comment