Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Wuthering Heights ~ Day 95

Photobucket
Cathy and Heathcliff (Wuthering Heights BBC 2009)

I have been waiting quite awhile for a book to get a hold of me again as much as Wuthering Heights has done (prior to that it was "A Scandalous Life: The Biography of Jane Digby" by Mary S Lovell). Drawn to the dark, moody character that is Heathcliff, the landscape which adds strength to the story with its rich layering of symbolism, and to the quality of the writing which encapsulates your mind, it is not difficult in my eyes to see why Emily Bronte's only novel has become a classical masterpiece.

This story is not for the faint of heart. It is violent, passionate, disturbing but to read and give it a good go, is to take oneself on an emotional and thought provoking journey. And to me that is what a good writer allows the reader to do, when their writing is not just words strung together but an experience for the reader to embark on.

So tonight I have finished it off with a long soak in the bath (the perfect place for reading of all kinds) and the book has left me thinking upon characters and a lot of "what ifs" even when the story, as if prophetic, was only ever going to have this one ending. And what of Heathcliff? Why are we drawn to this strong, revenge seeking, dark hearted man? This I don't have any definite answers for, but he has been romanticised and to me I cannot quite put my finger as to why readers have been so drawn to him (including myself)!!

Have you read Wuthering Heights? Did you love/hate it. It really is a book that provokes strong emotion of great proportions. I'd love to hear your thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment