Wednesday, September 26, 2012

How to Eat Strawberries

Photobucket
We are enjoying the abundance of strawberries at the moment (not from our garden unfortunately, we are lucky to pick a couple each day that haven't been gotten to before us by some wriggly garden foe).  But just how do you eat your strawberries?

Photobucket
I enjoy making a meringue smash with lashings of whipped cream and layers of these juicy sweet strawberries.

Photobucket
Lily chooses to use the strawberries as a garnish and sprinkles cinnamon (her choice but apparently tastes great) over vanilla bean ice cream.

Photobucket
Or perhaps you prefer the simplicity of strawberries and cream??  How do you enjoy eating your strawberries?

P.S. This makes for a delicious holiday treat for the whole family and by letting the kids make it for themselves, a really simple activity for them to enjoy.  

12 comments:

  1. Strawberries, meringue and whipped cream would be a firm favourite..except that i'm cutting out the sugar for a while! Now it's just washed, dried and eaten plain for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's a perfect way to enjoy them too. I am hearing you about cutting out the sugar. I need to do the same :)

      Delete
  2. I'm very happy with thick cream on my strawberries, maybe a sprinkle of icing sugar. But really, I'm happy to eat them anyhow! I adore that last image xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best way to enjoy them I think is sun kissed from the patch. We did berry picking in NZ a few years ago and they were just delish.

      Delete
  3. I'm fond of the classics ... Chocolate covered strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Kellie...I wasn't even thinking of that when I wrote the blog but definitely a classic and oh so good!

      Delete
  4. For a low sugar option, yoghurt or ricotta cheese can be pretty tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I mostly eat mine plain, but sometimes I splash out and enjoy chocolate with them...I usually can't be bothered melting and dipping them, so I just take a bite of chocolate, then a bite of strawberry (washed down with a glass of good creamy milk)
    Strawberries and cream always sounds nice, and for the first time the other day I actually tried it (with double cream). It was YUM!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, this all sounds so good (and the non melt option too) but why did I just think of Strawberries and Champagne??

      Delete
  6. Your meringue smash looks yummo. Reminds me of Jamie Oliver's recipe called Eton Mess. i think I love strawberries best just as they are, without anything added. As long as they are sweet and juicy and fresh then I find them very hard to stop eating:) Love your photos too, Lou. Gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I say but we love a bit of Jamie Oliver :)

      Delete