Sunday, September 16, 2012

The Garden Escape & Update

Our life outside of home has been filled with lots these past few weeks - all exciting projects but just phewww. I need a weekend/break/gap year etc. To be at home and better still in the garden, has been where we've been hiding out this weekend.

Photobucket

Once again our lemon tree is producing beautifully - they always make me so happy. Would love to hear your recipe ideas on how you think they'd best be used. My stomach is waiting in anticipation at the thought.

Photobucket

This weekend we built a proper fence around our kitchen garden and it looks pretty neat don't ya think? Our model here took advantage of the open gate and began enjoying...

Photobucket

this beautiful, rogue cos lettuce. I quickly shoo-shooed her but I am noticing all these gorgeous lettuces coming up from last seasons cos going to seed. This is the "don't-have-to-lift-a-finger" style of gardening I think is amazing as you watch nature go about its thing.

Photobucket

Just look at those luscious leaves, bursting with health and vitality too and begging to be eaten. We have been enjoying them with our lunch this weekend and I'm noticing their underlying fruity flavour when I eat the leaves by themselves.

Photobucket

We have also planted out some Washington Navels in our garden. It must be the weekend for citrus as we caught up with our neighbours at our local garden centre buying a lemon tree too. In fact it must have been the perfect weekend for gardening as the place was buzzing with people. I love how Spring wakes the inner gardner up from a Winter hibernation.

Photobucket

Our pansies are enjoying the Spring weather too as they smile happily up at the morning sun. We also have roses ready to plant which came from the most beautiful rose garden out in the country and I will take you for a little tour around there sometime soon.

Looking forward to seeing how you spent your weekend xo

13 comments:

  1. wow! what a gorgeous garden you have.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have so much more space to be filled up with garden loving here...and that's the plan with a focus on edibles :) Looking forward to sharing that with you all xo

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Aren't they just a happy looking flower. Speaking of happy flowers, I've been daydreaming of sunflowers today :)

      Delete
  3. Wow your garden is wonderful, I got excited because I had a few of my plants flower (like, 5 flowers!) Now I have some serious garden envy!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girlfriend, rejoice in those five flowers!! I bet they rock :)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful pics of your vege garden and lemon tree. I'm sure you'll be able to make lemon meringue pies, lemon curd, lemon madeira cake (recipe on my blog!) and maybe even preserved lemons or lemon drinks..yumm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol...we will just have to wait and see what I come up with then and I'll keep you all up to date. Curd, madeira cake and preserved lemons sound a treat xo

      Delete
  5. I love your kitchen garden, Lou. And what a lovely fence. Can we see some more of the vegie garden? Please:) Those pansies look so pretty. can't wait to get into my garden and begin it! I spent the weekend sanding back an old barn door that is now sitting gorgeously in my new house. Love the filter on your photos - are they instagrammed? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and absolutely. The plan is to expand it and I want to share that with you all. At the moment I'm inspired by Monty Don's fork to fork series (find on youtube if you haven't already seen) when it comes to a kitchen garden.

      Delete
  6. Hi there! I just stumbled upon your blog! and what a fortunate stumble that was... loving these gorgeous pics of your garden! Now following you. Jo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo,

      Enjoy your blog too so thank you for stopping by and saying hello. Love to garden...there are not enough hours in the day to do so I feel xo

      Lou

      Delete
  7. I love your beautiful veggie patch, looks fantastic fenced off behind that lattice.

    ReplyDelete